Support for Community Mobilisation and Livelihoods
Partner: Support Programme for Urban Reforms (SPUR)in Bihar
About the Project
The overall objective of the assignment is to mobilise and strengthen poor communities to report improved living conditions and incomes under the SPUR‐UTAST in ULB Kishanganj.
The specific objective is to organise and empower communities in slums and enable them to work in partnership with ULBs for slum improvement, sustainable livelihoods, social development and municipal reforms. More specifically the objective is to empower and organise local communities to participate in planning, implementation and management of basic services on one hand and on the other to enhance their capacities to earn better incomes and attain an improved standard of living.
- Facilitating community mobilisation, building the capacities of the communities to undertake participatory micro‐planning for infrastructure, economic and social development in all slums in the project towns in a phased manner.
- Forming Primary Groups, Self‐Help Groups and Samuhik Vikas Sabhas (SVS) within slum communities. Mobilising community groups for self‐managed savings and credit will be the essential foundation for community organisation creating an enabling environment for sustainable livelihood generation and infrastructure improvement in the slums.
- Facilitating the community based groups to assess their needs in terms of infrastructure and services.
- Facilitating communities to prepare micro plans for infrastructure and services implement/execute the plans through community contracting or other‐wise.
Specific Tasks under the Project
- Formation, strengthening, training and capacity building and handholding community organisations (SHGs and SVSs)
- Facilitate the SPUR in training and capacity building of SVSs in micro planning, identifying priority infrastructure needs and developing micro‐plans for settlements.
- Developing and supporting employment generation and enterprise development interventions through community participation
- Supporting and facilitating social development initiatives and linkages
- Supporting the government in the implementation of projects under JNNURM, BSUP, IHSDP,SJSRY as and when called for; the support of the UTAST SPUR will be available as and when required for this purpose.