PRAKALP – Rural Sanitation Programme
Location: Nawada and Patna in Bihar and Sahibganj, Deoghar and Dumka in Jharkhand
Name of Partner: District Water Sanitation Department (DWSD) of respective districts
About the Project
Lack of toilets makes women and girls vulnerable to violence as they are forced to defecate only after night falls. Sanitation enhances dignity, privacy and safety of particularly women and girls. Schools with proper toilet facilities enable children, especially girls reaching puberty, to continue with their studies.
Due to Total Sanitation Campaign (TSC) and Nirmal Gram Puraskar (NGP), a revolution in the sanitation sector has swept across the country, increasing coverage from 1 per cent in 1981 to 48 per cent in 2007. GPVS is collaborating with authorities in the above five districts to play its role in this programme.
- Selection of panchayat/villages and conduct household survey on availability of rural sanitation facilities and land for construction of new latrines
- Availability of water facility
- Data collection and compilation
- One to one discussions and focussed group discussions to involve villagers and schools
- Preparation of rural toilets
- Effective use of IEC